Position: Avian Pathologist
Annual Salary: $ 78,262.94 – $ 97,751.39
The Animal Health Centre is British Columbia’s provincial veterinary diagnostic laboratory. As part of the Plant and Animal Health Branch, BC Ministry of Agriculture, it has the mandate to provide diagnostic, monitoring, investigative, surveillance and regulatory programs for the province’s animal populations.
The two Avian Pathologists work as a team to provide diagnostic services for poultry, as well as companion, zoo, and wild birds. They also work closely with the Veterinary Epidemiologist, the Public Health Veterinarian, and the Poultry Industry Specialist to provide special programming, service, and support to the regulated and non-regulated poultry industries and poultry veterinarians. The Avian Pathologists are involved in emergency response to reportable diseases, development and implementation of surveillance programs, and stakeholder education. This position will involve leading Salmonella/food safety surveillance and control programs.
Core training in veterinary diagnostic pathology is required. This is an excellent opportunity for a newly trained poultry pathologist who is ready to practice in their area of expertise, a general pathologist who is interested in focusing on avian species, or anyone in between. You will have the opportunity to be closely mentored by an Avian Pathologist with over 30 years of experience and who is recognized as a global leader in avian health and disease.
If you’re looking for a location that’s equally close to the amenities of downtown Vancouver, the ocean, coastal forests, and mountain ranges, please consider this exciting opportunity to live and work in Abbotsford. Abbotsford is situated at the heart of the scenic Fraser Valley of British Columbia – one of the most beautiful and bountiful agricultural areas in Canada.
This position offers a competitive salary working in a varied environment with attractive work hours. Working for the public service offers a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more.
To be considered for this position your resume must clearly demonstrate that you have the following:
- Minimum requirements include:
- A DVM or equivalent degree.
- A minimum of two years of post-DVM training in a veterinary (avian or mammalian) diagnostic pathology training program as of August 31, 2016.
- Diplomate status with the American College of Poultry Veterinarians (ACPV), the American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP), the European College of Veterinary Pathologists (ECVP), or an equivalent body is preferred.
- Eligibility for certification by one of the aforementioned associations is preferred.
- Experience in avian medicine and/or avian pathology is preferred.
- Experience with the poultry industry is preferred.
- Experience working in a veterinary diagnostic laboratory is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
For more information on this career opportunity including how to apply online by June 3rd 2016, please visit: https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=32864